INTERREG I & II
Since the launch of the INTERREG community initiative in 1991, a whole series of cross-border projects have been implemented in the territory of the Euregio Meuse-Rhine with the support of INTERREG funds.
The INTERREG I programme covered the period from 1991 to 1993. The 23 million ECU granted by the European Commission and the related co-financing led to some 120 projects being carried out within the Euregio Meuse-Rhine.
For the period from 1994 to 1999, the funds granted within the INTERREG II programme exceeded 37 million euro.
These projects have strengthened the socio-economic and socio-cultural structures of the Euregio Meuse-Rhine and improved its competitiveness.
Examples of projects carried out
- EUREGIO timetable: to produce a general timetable for all the regional public transport
- Eurode-Business-Center: to create a centre for border services
- Promotion of cooperation between companies within the EMR: to stimulate the partnership between small- and medium-sized businesses in the EMR as regards subcontracting
- Protection and management of the cross-border valleys and rivers: to ensure effective and lasting protection of the existence and natural character of the border valleys within the Parc Naturel [Nature reserve] des Hautes-Fagnes (B) / Eifel (D)
- Riemst-Maastricht canalisation: to carry the waste water from a Belgian town to a Dutch purification station and thus improve the quality of the water
- Tele-Learning/Tele-Assistance: to enable small- and medium-sized businesses to familiarise themselves with the new information and communication technologies
- To guarantee freer access to cross-border health care: to promote cooperation between mutual insurance companies, hospitals and public services in the Euregio
- Improvement in fire safety in the towns of Bullange (B) and Hellenthal (D)
- Creation of a euregional historic network of fortified castles and fortresses: to create a tourist route linking the many fortified castles and fortresses to the interesting cultural past of the Euregio Meuse-Rhine